ArcelorMittal Italia is set to restart Blast Furnace 2 at its Taranto site on Jan. 26 as the company aims to increase crude steel production to 5 million mt in 2021 from 3.4 million mt produced in 2020, union sources told S&P Global Platts.
The company has already restarted Smelter 1 this week, union sources said.
Blast furnace 2 and smelter 1 temporarily closed for Corona
Blast furnace 2 and smelter 1 had been temporarily closed as the corona virus depressed demand for steel and the company was adapting the blast furnace to safety standards required by Italian judges following a fatal accident in June 2015.
Of the company’s five blast furnaces, only blast furnaces 1 and 4 are currently fully operational and producing 14,000 mt/day of crude steel.
Work on blast furnace 2 was carried out by Ilva, which owns the site and leases it to ArcelorMittal Italia, at a total cost of about €10 million.
Largest blast furnace in Europe
Blast furnace 5 is the largest blast furnace in Europe with a production capacity of around 3.5 million mt/year and was shut down in 2015. Blast furnace 3 has a capacity of around 2 million mt/year of crude steel, but was shut down in 1994 and is to be dismantled.
Steelnews.biz constantly searches the Internet for important, interesting and informative news.
Are you missing an information, do you have a question or are you interested that we refer to a certain article or press release of Steelnews.biz? Then simply contact us now.
We always try to refer to the correct source of a news item.
Disclaimer: Many things here represent our opinion. Others are information from the Internet. We can therefore never claim to be correct or complete. And never base a business decision solely on the news you receive from us.